Lets discuss being Trans and Gay

GWOG Home Forums GWOG Forum Lets discuss being Trans and Gay

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pj graygay pj graygay 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I’m doing a fashion project on politics and I’m wanting to look at the relationship between the Trans community and the Gay community. Growing up a little gay boy and educating myself on the LGBT community, I have never seen these two as separate but instead as one unit. However with recent events, like the backlash of the T-word and individuals from both sides creating hateful speeches, I want to understand how everyone feels.
    I want to use this forum as a way to let people express themselves and to be as open as possible. Tell me stories and articles that you have come across that talk about the relationships and definitely tell me about your personal experiences. The more information I get, the more I’ll know how to illustrate people emotions in my work.
    This can also involve individuals who are part of the Transgender umbrella, i.e: Gender Queer, Gender Non-binary ect. Just be yourself and let your opinions fly. 🙂

Profile photo of T.M. Lankford
    T.M. Lankford
    Participant

Andrew,

I think if many are honest – many being those who don’t fall within the trans umbrella – we fall on the same continuum as anyone in general society. Falling under the trans umbrella means falling into a differing gender identity than the traditional binary system. What should be obvious, but isn’t? Gender identity and sexual orientation are completely separate elements of the human condition.

Despite the historical symbiosis of sexual orientation and gender identity, having one element within oneself does not mean having the other. Regardless of true gender identity, anyone falling under the trans umbrella will undeniably encounter conflicts with both gender identity and sexual orientation. Those of us with only a minority sexual orientation to contend with don’t face the same struggle. Thus, some of us find it hard to identify with gender “non-conformity.”

Unfortunately, this translates poorly in terms of everything from community spirit to non-profit funding.

As an aside, if this project of yours has anything to do with physical productions of fashion pieces, you might look at extreme contrasts of black/white/gray with stark but corresponding color.

Profile photo of pj graygay
    pj graygay
    Participant

I am happy to see this discussion here on a site which should, by virtue of its base in atheism, be centered on science, not just speculation or pop culture. .

Now, there is no hard biological science which defines gender dysphoria as purely physiological or genetic with the exception of obvious hermaphroditism. The fact is that men are all women with a minor genetic mutation. So all humans fall on a spectrum of femininity to masculinity. Physical traits of these genders vary from individual to individual, separate from identity. Gender dysphoria is largely a psychological and social concept to describe a complex syndrome of feelings and behaviors. Subsequent to the development of that concept, endocrinologists and surgeons accommodated dysphoric patients with hormones and plastic surgery. At great expense, I might add. The effectiveness of this ‘treatment’ for a largely psychological problem has not been thoroughly studied. Sites like http://www.sexchangeregret.com/ tell one side of the transgender story which gets little attention in part to LGBTQ-related politics.

Recent concerns have been raised that some less scientific cultures have been forcing transgenderism on gay men by way of threats of violence or even death. Interestingly, these same cultures do not force female-male transgenderism on lesbians, since these patriarchal cultures would see a woman acting as a man to be either a crime or a sin.

I happen to have known a variety of male-female transgendered people in both professional and personal circumstances. Of all of them, one has seemed well adjusted and truly happy as a woman. This could be due to a variety of factors. Cultural pressures in most places do not allow for a woman who is over six feet tall, for example. Changing physical attributes does not change the underlying personality or brain chemistry entirely. What I am saying is that gender dysphoria could be a symptom of a complex personality problem which hormones and surgery cannot solve entirely. If clinicians too readily jump on gender change as a cure, they are doing a disservice to a patient. Unfortunately, the trending of trans chic has made this more likely. Treating symptoms rather than disease is often the default position of medicine when it has no real answers.

In my youth, I struggled with some of these issues in a minor way. I was relatively hairless, tall, and my body did not have the V-shape and compact musculature which was considered hot in my gay culture. Looking back now, I am amused to think of how I ignored compliments and positive attention from admirers because of my own insecurity. But it felt important back then in my late adolescence and early manhood. I outgrew it with some personal work and professional help.

Maybe the issue of gender dysphoria will evolve alongside the issues of social homophobia and social misogyny. As these latter issues become less toxic in cultures, I would suspect that it would be easier for androgyny to be lived openly without surgical or hormonal interventions, which come with their own damaging side effects. Right now, I feel gender dysphoria is in many cases a tragic comment on our cultural ignorance about and fear of healthy sexuality.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar