Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

GWOG Home Forums GWOG Forum Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jacob van Tienen Jacob van Tienen 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I don’t think it is”fueled” by me being gay; however I think me being gay has some form of role init. I say this because I’m very intolerant towards people who make generalized assumptions and would rather be ignorant and stick to what they know, than listen to another side which could give them in-depth, factual insight into the topic at hand. Plus I was a massive science geek when I was younger.

Profile photo of isaac
    isaac
    Participant

Growing up in a christian household it wasn’t strict just was the religion that my mothers side of the family had faith in, but growing up ii didn’t believe in god, I didn’t believe that one great being created us and all of humanity had to come together to please him or he will punish you, it sounded ridiculous, eventually I came to the conclusion that religion is a man made concept that was put in place to make some kind of basic morality and kindness and also to put fear into people. I think being gay has some kind of part of me being an aithiest Because I pushed away religion because I knew religion didn’t accept me.

Profile photo of wohdin
    wohdin
    Participant

Absolutely.

Well, I know that at least some of the earliest roots of my atheism come from identifying as gay.

I was raised in a VERY Southern Baptist fundamentalist environment. I didn’t have many relatives around my age, except for one older cousin who got me interested in “alternative faiths” (e.g., paganism, wicca, etc, the typical “teenage rebellion” stuff) at a very early age, but at the time I had never really even given much thought to the topic of religion as a whole, because since everyone else in my family was “Christian”, I just assumed that I was also “Christian” by relation, almost like an ethnicity. But once I begun to realize my own sexuality, I began noticing with great frequency the amount of Christian hatred for the LGBT community, which was an identification that I connected with on a much deeper level than any form of religion, and quickly decided that I 1) could not follow in a faith system that actively loathed me for who I was, and 2) I didn’t really believe in God anyway, aside from the generic negative fears that I had been indoctrinated into practically since birth (and which I still feel on an almost primal level sometimes, but thankfully rationality always wins out). Later on in my life, I took deeper looks at other religions (many, in fact) and realized that a great number of them all claim to be the One True Religion, and you can’t have multiple groups claiming that they are the only valid one, otherwise the only valid conclusion is that none of them are. I’ve been 100% faith-free ever since coming to that conclusion. But I definitely feel that my sexuality was the initial spark that led to my atheism, and if I had been born a cis straight male I probably would still be stuck in the sand pit of religion.

Profile photo of hipp
    hipp
    Participant

Me being an atheist did not come about because I am gay but the fact that I am gay, and religions hate me with such vigor, certainly helps me be an outspoken atheist.

Profile photo of ProudPansexual
    ProudPansexual
    Participant

Personally, I was atheist/agnostic before I knew my sexual orientation, but I think my sexual orientation has solidified my atheism.

I was not brought up in a Christian household (both my parents are agnostic/atheist too, although not to the extent that I am) and I think that in Britain (where I live), religion is not as big of a deal as in the USA and other countries, and people in the religious community are becoming less homophobic, with 70% of religious people in the UK (I think, not entirely sure) supporting marriage equality in some regard (although there is still an atmosphere of discrimination of LGBTQ people in the Church). I feel really sorry for people in conservative religious backgrounds who are not accepting of queer and transgender people and I really admire them for coming out and standing up for what they believe in, and fundamentalist religion certainly stands in the way of that.

But I think that my atheism is more fuelled by my interest in science, the idea of having evidential proof for things and my cautious nature of not putting my faith into anything unless I am 100% sure, and if I were to believe in God or a higher being then I feel that I would be going against those two things. I am a bit of a nerd and I like to find factual evidence and factual basis for my beliefs, and there are so many facts that go against the Bible it’s unbelievable.

I made the decision to reject the notion of theism and agnosticism when I was in school before I was aware of my sexual-preference. So it had no bearing on my decision however I do find I get angry more so when I find someone has suffered because a religion has a problem with there sexuality than if it were a non-religious hate crime (for people in the USA I don’t know if you have hate crime legislation?).

Profile photo of HeathenMike
    HeathenMike
    Participant

For me, being queer has definitely been a factor, but not the only one. With my fundamentalist, Pentecostal upbringing, realizing I had same-sex attractions initially motivated me to dive deeper into my faith and bible study, trying to find some solution to the dilemma that my sexual feelings were not matching the paradigm. But I heard condemnation of homosexuality from many directions in society, not just from my religion. Ultimately, it was my personal study of the bible, coupled with some exposure in Europe and college to secular thought, NOT being queer, per se, that helped me see the contradictions, sheer false facts, and destructive nonsense of Christian theology. By extension, I came to question all belief in deities. Had I not been queer, I might be a liberal Christian today, just ignoring the scriptures that are negative and cherry-picking the “nice” ones that suit my wants. …but then again, maybe not. Maybe some other experiences would have helped me make the transition, even without being gay. It is hard to know for sure.

Profile photo of Kasey G
    Kasey G
    Participant

To make a long story short, I think my being gay has made me a more intelligent, and understanding person; In light of the fact that it requires a pretty large lack of intelligence to blindly follow a religion, I do believe a lot of my disbelief stems from being a homo<3

Profile photo of Jacob van Tienen
    Jacob van Tienen
    Participant

In my opinion, I don’t think it did.
    It was my own inquisitive nature that led me to turn away from religions/God, and that was well before I even thought of my own sexuality.
    Of course, for some people, having Christian “beliefs” thrown at them would be enough to turn away from the religion, but for me personally, I didn’t know much about LGBT-hate until I was a little older and had more real-life experience.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar