Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

GWOG Home Forums GWOG Forum Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jacob van Tienen Jacob van Tienen 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vinimarques
    vinimarques
    Participant

That’s a question I’ve had to carefully formulate an answer to. If my answer is a straight-up yes, I get accused (by my family and believers in general) of “being mad at god.” If I answer no, I’m not being honest with myself because I know being gay played a part in my deconversion.

So here’s what I arrived at. A lot of us get indoctrinated to religion literally from the time time we’re in the womb. As we know, this carries immense power and thus most people go through life without feeling the need to question what they were taught. It would take something big to shake things up. In my case, it was realizing that the god and book I was told were perfect didn’t account for who I was; for other people it can be the death of a loved one, or some other impactful event. Being able to see through the bullshit on this one topic pushed me to start questioning everything else, and eventually the whole thing collapsed like a house of cards.

Therefore, I’d say that being gay was the catalyst for my quest for truth, but it’s not the only reason I’m an atheist. I arrived at that conclusion once I understood what it was and what it wasn’t… and the water’s mighty fine. 😉

Profile photo of Dylan
    Dylan
    Participant

Honestly, I’m half and half on the topic. Yes, I do believe my Atheism is partly influenced by the fact that I am gay. But, at the same time , No.  The reasoning behind it is that there is no reason behind it. “God ” seems kinda Bipolar , if you ask me. I find “Him” to be a vengeful imaginary friend. We may accept “God” in our hearts but if we mess up we can’t be saved? That is some pretty crypt ed shit if you ask me.

Also, Religion should have stayed an Idea rather than a belief.  Ideas can be changed with our problems. but a Belief , that starts wars , protest, hatred, and many other things just fuck people up in the end. There is no reason to become hostile just by the simplicity of an Open-Minded view.

If, you don’t “Believe” in my Ideas , than don’t worry about it just say “Cool Story ,Bro” and move on with your life.

So Yes and No…. That is your answer… I’m sorry i flew off of topic there for a minute .

Profile photo of ReichLover21
    ReichLover21
    Participant

Simply put, my rationality, inquisitiveness and non complacent morality are what make me atheistic. Staying stagnant in thought and not seeking truths is what perpetuates faith.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For me personally, being gay might have had some influence in pushing me toward atheism, but only marginally.  Even if I was straight, my reasoning for atheism/agnosticism comes from valuing scientific proof and strictly factual conclusions as a justification for the “big questions” in our world.  Relying on theories or justifications that aren’t backed up by factual information leads to false beliefs.  Standing up for these beliefs that are grounded on superstition and ancient texts has caused some of the most devastating wars and bloodshed our earth has ever witnessed.  Believing in a higher power to an extent that leaves you unalterable in your opinion despite clear scientific evidence to the contrary can be very dangerous.  As it relates to this website and the goals of this website, being gay and facing the opposition that is tied to religion is a major element of the LGBT community.  It is a fact that can’t be denied.  The United States seems to be a particularly extreme example in Western society.  The Middle East, Africa, and Asia have an exponentially larger burden to bear.  For those reasons, my homosexuality has been a secondary reason for my atheism.  However, it’s my subscription to irrefutable scientific fact that causes me to be an atheist.  Don’t believe in something unless you know it is true.  There is no monster under your bed, whether your bed has pink glittery sheets or not.

Profile photo of T.M. Lankford
    T.M. Lankford
    Participant

If my atheism is fueled by my being gay, this is only indirect or inconsequential. I grew up Southern Baptist and fairly fundamentalist. (My father was a minister.) As I began to realize my sexual orientation, initially, I encountered extreme, private guilt. This was mainly due to my religious beliefs, so I set on a course to determine if the Bible really said anything against same-sex relationships, as they exist today. Being the son of a minister, I utilized the lexicons, biblical dictionaries, and other non-lay resources at my disposal. Obviously, my beliefs shifted drastically. This wasn’t an over-night change.

When I discovered the Bible and my religious structure to be completely wrong about sexuality, I began to question other areas of belief and behavior. Over the next few years, I became more comfortable in my own skin and with my own judgement. Eventually, the “veil lifted,” and I realized: there is no god to be afraid of.

Profile photo of The Quiet One
    The Quiet One
    Participant

I think I began to doubt my religion when it told me I was an abomination. I even believed that bullshit when I was in elementary school. I got over it in middle school and found that religion was wrong. All of it was wrong, it was more of a delusion and a fulfillment of the human ego to impose his self-righteous belief on others; rather than helping mankind. I disliked how the truth always seemed to be twisted just to fit doctrine, and I eventually became disgusted by it. I found that I didn’t need religion to find self-fulfillment nor to be happy.

So, was I atheist because I was gay? I began to be an atheist because I was gay, but I remained an atheist because of my belief in the truth, not in opinions or egotistic fairy tales.

Profile photo of PK
    PK
    Participant

I think being gay made me question a lot of what the Bible said. I remember reading the popular argument against gay people being ‘abominations’ : “Well, so is eating shellfish, mixed fabrics, etc.” It challenged the idea of Biblical innerrancy that I had been brought up with. However, for a while I still considered myself a Christian. A big part of it was the fear of being wrong and going to Hell for eternity. I didn’t identify as an atheist until I took an Anthropology course. Science basically made me an atheist. Had I not received the proper education, I would probably be a gay Christian or the PC brand of agnostic.

Now, when it comes to my anti-theism, it sure as hell has been fueled by my being gay. I’m aware of how religion hurts us LGBT folk: Reparative therapy, kids kicked out of their homes by religious parents, anti-gay bigotry in our laws, etc. It pisses me off. Once you let go of religion you realize that there’s no excuse, no redeeming quality about it that can justify what it does to society and to people’s minds.

Profile photo of Joey3264
    Joey3264
    Participant

for me it is the other way around, it was discovering that i was gay that ultimately led me to abandon religion. i feel that homosexuality mixes with religion like oil and water.

most people think that a Gay/Conservative sounds like a strange combination, but i even think that its even odd for a gay individual to be religious at all, but thats just the way i look at it.

Profile photo of Scott?
    Scott?
    Participant

I was an atheist before I understood my orientation, so no for me.

I find however, that the beginnings of atheism for many people is their religion differing greatly from their own characteristics and experiences. Being gay can easily be one of these characteristics.

Profile photo of shogunicorn
    shogunicorn
    Participant

Well, when I was about five or six years old, I knew that something was up with me, like I’ve always known that i am gay [like most of you probably do]. But I tried to fight it, I was in denial, whenever I was asked I would say no. It’s probably because in my country [Philippines] where I originally came from before moving here in the U.S., some of the people I knew viewed gay people as low as they view prostitutes. And in the Philippines, most churches accepted gay people, so I never really knew that being gay was a “sin” or anything.

Moving on, when I moved here in the U.S. with my mom when I was 12, I first learned about discrimination towards gay people, it kind of opened my eyes to how sick this world really is. So then I started questioning why “God” would hate the people he created, it just did not make any damn sense. It’s really hard to say but I would say yes, being gay, and learning about the hate religion could really cause/do to people did influence my atheism. Because when you think of it, everything in the bible just doesn’t add up. It seems like it’s all just bullshit [cause it is].

On a side note, my History teacher once said to us; either mankind was the mistake of a god, or “God” was the mistake of mankind. and to me, makes more sense that the idea of a god or a religion was one of mankind’s biggest mistakes because it has caused so much hatred throughout history, caused so much innocent deaths, wars and so on and until today we still have these discrimination against people. Just look at what the Russia now. This is what stupidity/ignorance will lead people to.

Profile photo of wayneashke
    wayneashke
    Participant

There really is no reason for my gayness to influence my atheism. There is more than enough contradiction in the religious texts of the world (you’ll notice I include ALL religious texts) that my being gay wasn’t required to push me toward atheism.

Don’t get me wrong, I spent a large quantity of time until the age of 35 trying to make religion work for me. Hell, I was a ‘layleader’ on my Navy submarine for four years, leading Sunday worship and Thursday bible studies. But it was those years, when I was really studying the document called the Holy Bible, that I realized that there was just too much inconsistency in it’s message. Worse is that it was written in such a way that there were many ways of interpreting the ‘message’.

How can a document that supposedly inspired by ‘God’ be riddled with these inconsistencies, contradictions, and outright lies. Yes, I came to the conclusion that there are lies in there too.

But that was long before I accepted my gay nature. I was never torn up by my indecision. I simply attempted to live a heterosexual life, got married, had kids, raised them, and then moved on to the other side of my nature, that was, admittedly, stronger than the heterosexual bent.

In short, questioning religious doctrine happened out of recognizing the hypocrisy of the documents that were supposed to lead to enlightenment. If anything, I realized the there was no enlightenment, only blinders. I’ve concluded that those who vociferously support those religious documents are incapable of independent thought. They prefer the luxury of not having the really think. They’d much rather be led around like a bull with a nose ring.

So, in case you didn’t get the memo…No, I do not believe that my being gay led to my atheism. My being intelligent and willing to question the world in which I live did that. Any god that could create a universe would have to be a completely logical creature. Religious doctrine is anything but logical.

To be honest, I think it does not. At least, not entirely. I knew I was gay long before I identified as an atheist.
    That is not to say that they kind of intermingle from time to time. I see that a lot of homophobia arises from religious belief, and comes from the religious majority. That is not to say that all people of faith are homophobic. Just like you can have homophobia, racism and sexism amongst the non-religious.
    My atheism is not such a huge part of my identity as my sexuality. I will admit that my non-belief plays a role in how I see the world, and how I relate to others from time to time.
    Certainly, my atheism has developed and changed since I first made that conscious decision, but it was not influenced solely by my sexuality. There were other factors, to be honest, as well as other contributors.

Being a gay male has strengthened many things in my character, and has altered my world-view. Being an atheist also has altered my world-view. If anything, they sometimes compliment and intertwine, and they both can contribute to how I feel about certain things in society.

Profile photo of Jeremy
    Jeremy
    Participant

I agree with @joshhawkbotsteels except I think interpretation of the Bible (or any docrtine) is the exact problem with the religion. It allows you to make it support whatever belief you want it to…which is why its worthless.

Sorry, a little off the main topic, but thought it related to the conversation.

Profile photo of Mark W.
    Mark W.
    Participant

I would agree with @interpretosis and @guyncanton. I would go one step further with @guyncanton explanation, especially how it relates to the Untied States, when you consider the wacko-birds of the religious world (some most conservative and fanatical of the religious) were a substantial block of the settlers to the New World because of their persecution in the Old World. (Consider, for example, the pilgrims of Plymouth Colony, who were Puritans but believed that they should separate from the Church of England.)

Profile photo of Michael2014
    Michael2014
    Participant

I think that me being atheist helped me to come to terms with my sexuality.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar