Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

GWOG Home Forums GWOG Forum Do you believe that your atheism is fueled by being gay?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jacob van Tienen Jacob van Tienen 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hurley
    Hurley
    Participant

The part that bothers me is the idea of having to ask for reconciliation just for being the person that I am.  I am not going to apologize to anyone person, being, or deity for being gay.  There is a bit of a history lesson in why the christian church persecuted gays.

I  also believe that religion was created as an to the age long question of where did we come from.  Charles Darwin, evolution and science has provided a new explanation that is much more logical to me and can even explain homosexuality as a subconscious reaction to the overpopulation of the species.

Profile photo of Reiko
    Reiko

Hmm. To jump on board with that theory, I would have to know if the percentage of homosexuals rises with the population increase. And I doubt that this is the case. It is far more likely that the percentage remains relatively constant and that what we may perceive as an increase in homosexuals is really just a more accepting culture; people feel more free to be themselves. The reasons for homosexual attraction are still a mystery to me, but I do hope science will continue to progress and shed more light in this area in the future.

Profile photo of James Alan
    James Alan
    Participant

Charles Darwin, evolution and science has provided a new explanation that is much more logical to me and can even explain homosexuality as a subconscious reaction to the overpopulation of the species.

I don’t think that works. Large increases in the world’s population have been extremely recent (in evolutionary time). For most of the time, we’ve had pretty high mortality and especially high infant mortality.

Evolution is a mindless automatic process based on tinkering, so it produces lots of unexpected consequences. You could say based on natural selection that men should prefer homosexuality – more gay people around means more women for them to sleep wit, and women should hate gay men because they’re taking away potential mates. But that’s not what we see, which means there must be more machinery working behind the scenes that we don’t understand yet.

Profile photo of Hurley
    Hurley
    Participant

Exactly there is so much we don’t understand…  But all understanding starts with a theory.

Homosexuality is neither 100% genetic nor 100% environmental but certain environments such as an modern overpopulated city can give people with a genetic predisposition an increased likelihood to look for the same sex for sexual pleasure.  Just a theory…

But you also seem to forget there are gay women too.

Profile photo of interpretosis
    interpretosis
    Participant

Hey, my two-cents.  I do think there’s a connection in the sense that many people are still raised in a religious tradition (so it just is ‘normal’ to believe these things) and ‘becoming’ agnostic atheist tends to require an awakening to the problems inherent in those traditions/theologies.  For people who are LGBTQ, your gender/sexuality/queerness provides a first insight into how that system, in at least some ways, is broken/false/unsatisfactory; I can imagine that creates the opportunity to distance enough to observe and critique.

So, all kinds of minorities who don’t fit within ‘traditional’ parameters organized in modern translations of the Bible or various religious traditions simply are given easy access to a point of critique, which may engender more critiques (and an overall rejection).  Alternatively, people with privilege who fit in with hegemonic values (e.g. heterosexism) simply don’t have a big red flag (e.g. some priest saying gays are demons or homosexuality is unnatural and learned, when that just doesn’t fit with your experience) thrust in their face every day.

I think the above applies to me.  Growing up gay kind of gave me an easy opportunity to see, ‘Hey, they don’t seem to know what they’re talking about… that just doesn’t makes sense,’  Then, later: ‘Wow… not much of any of it makes sense.’

Profile photo of Twinklefart37
    Twinklefart37
    Participant

Actually I did used to believe in God but it wasn’t me being gay that fueled my change to Atheism. I actually went to a Christian school for middle school and gradually found the “God pill” harder and harder to swallow for lack of a better word. I also just happen to be gay but I think even if I was straight I would be an Atheist.

Re: The OP.

Quite the opposite in fact. I came to atheism as I realised I had no good reason to hold onto my former beliefs. This all transpired YEARS before I ever admitted to liking guys. In my mind thry are separate and distinct united only by the opposition of a religion I reject as absurd and false.

Profile photo of Josiah
    Josiah
    Participant

For me being gay and being atheist are just two facets of me, tho each aided in the discovery of the other. When I was 14, everyone at school always assumed I was gay, which I vehemently denied, mostly because I couldnt come to terms with it. Some relatives from Australia visited us that summer; my cousin Ben (he and his father are atheists) brought with him and lent me a copy of The Complete Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by that epicly brilliant Douglas Adams, which despite being a work of fiction opened me up to the idea that god is just one insane idea out of a billion. Also during the visit and after I was mostly done with the book, we went hiking in the Grand Canyon, the epic grandeur of which made me realise that whether or not there were faeries at the bottom didn’t affect the beauty at all indeed. I began to question the faith which had been powerwasher-blasted into my brain since I was born, and eventually wrote the whole thing off as fiction, becoming an atheist. At the same time, I began to realise that there was nothing wrong with being gay either, since I didn’t have the sceptre of religion over me (nor Big Brother God’s wiretaps in my head) anymore. So while both atheism and homosexuality affected each other, neither caused the other.

Profile photo of jksteiner1974
    jksteiner1974
    Participant

I think that any disagreement with the views held by religion can lead to one being an atheist.  Being gay certainly gave me a head-start in questioning the church, since I knew that they were very incorrect about something.  That probably led me to more actively question the church’s validity as a whole.  So for me personally I have to say that YES being gay has contributed to me being an atheist.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Well being atheist isn’t fueled because I’m gay, it just helps. I’m atheist because it makes more sense to believe in something alternate to some guy controlling what goes on around me and watching me every second of the day whilst also doing the exact same thing to trillions of other people and still remembering who I am and giving me a purpose to be here; my sexuality only comes into play because I don’t want to associate myself with something that doesn’t accept me for something I dis not choose and brainwashes people into thinking I’m wrong and disgusting.

Profile photo of SaltyGawd
    SaltyGawd
    Participant

I think that gays are better at challenging conventional wisdom better than most because the act of coming out by those of us with a religious childhood was an act of faith! We loved ourselves enough to challenge the belief by billions of people that there was something wrong with us. That’s courage!

I had reconciled my faith with my sexuality and actively attended church for several years. Although it took awhile, there was a slippery slope to agnosticism and atheism. I read Good without God and Marlene Winell’s book initially. It was an easy step after that.

Profile photo of I-am-going-to-Hell
    I-am-going-to-Hell
    Participant

Yes and no. I stopped ‘believing’ a long time before I knew I was gay. I was more science orientated in school and always tend to question things if there is no proof.

That said, even though I didn’t believe, I still called myself ‘Church of England’ until last year. I couldn’t tell you if the fact that I am gay has anything to do with the change to Atheist or not. I suspect it has played it’s part as has plenty of other things, being in the forces I’ve done, seen and heard things that I wouldn’t wish anyone to have to do, see or hear.

I’ve found recently that I’m not just Atheist, but I’m becoming more and more Anti-religion, most conflict throughout history has been down to religion. I think the only things that have ever come from religion are: death, destruction and hate!

So in answer to the question, not entirely, although it has played a small part.

I’d just like to bring up another point:

Hurley mentioned that homosexuality could be a subconscious reaction to the overpopulation of the species. I remember seeing something a month or two ago (I think it was on the BBC) that the siblings of gay/lesbian people tend to have more children than siblings of straight people.

This could be down to a few factors, a couple that stick in my mind are:

The ‘gay’ gene, the argument being that the siblings would be more fertile and possibly more sexually active.

Supportive uncle/aunt, they found that gay uncles/aunts were more supportive to their sibling’s children that straight uncle/aunts, making life a bit easier meaning the straight siblings would find it easier to have more children. This also makes the ‘gay’ gene argument stronger, as the more children the siblings have the more chance that the gene will be passed on.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Being lesbian did not entirely inform my atheism, but it may have hastened my understanding. I was raised Southern Baptist, so the hypocrisy of that particular religion exposed itself to me at a fairly young age.

Profile photo of AnotherGayArtist
    AnotherGayArtist
    Participant

Growing up in a Catholic household, attending a Catholic elementary school and middle school, being an altar boy, being gay was always taught to be wrong. I remember my 7th grade Theology teacher telling me that homosexuals are going to hell and there is no way to save them.

On the other hand, my parent’s best friends are gay, so I know that my parents couldn’t possibly believe everything the church had to say.

After leaving the private schools for a public high school, I became more comfortable with my own sexuality, and refused to believe that I was “going straight to hell” for being who I was. I think being gay definitely began my religious journey from Catholic to whatever I am now, but being gay hasn’t sustained it. Studying Anthropology has been more of a factor, and being a logical person who isn’t afraid to ask questions and challenge religion has also been more of a factor.

Profile photo of Hyde
    Hyde
    Participant

Regardless if I was gay or straight I would still think the way I think. Me being homosexual isn’t as universally impacting as one would assume.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar