A response to the post "Gayless in Heaven…"

GWOG Home Forums GWOG Forum Opposing Views A response to the post "Gayless in Heaven…"

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gerald Gerald 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gaywithoutgod
    gaywithoutgod
    Keymaster

Heres a response posted by ‘cure’ on Pixel Joint to the post Gayless in Heaven | How the Afterlife Described by Christians Sets Up an Identity Problem. What are your thoughts?

From what I understand of the Christian perspective, there is no sexuality at all in heaven, gay or straight. In Mark 12:25 Jesus says that marriage doesn’t even carry over into heaven. So the premise seems silly to begin with, gays won’t be made straight in heaven, sexuality will not exist at all. The question of identity and neural connections seems a little odd too, since heaven is a spiritual realm, and neurons/brains exist in the physical realm. The valid question I can dig out of this is ‘is there individuality in heaven?’ in the verse I mentioned earlier, Jesus says the ascended will be ‘like the angels’, who are united in will with God and pretty much don’t do anything other than offer him praise, no ego to be seen. (the whole rebellious angels being thrown into hell after following Satan/Lucifer isn’t really biblical, nor is the identification of Satan with Lucifer).

In short, the article mixes the physical world and its laws with the completely spiritual realm of heaven (though I know some Protestants who think heaven and our heavenly forms will be physical, for whatever unsupported reason).

Personally I think the modern concept of heaven is a corruption of Jesus’s original philosophy of the Kingdom of God (called the Kingdom of Heaven in one gospel out of respect to the Jewish readers who avoided saying or writing God’s name). Elements of this philosophy were conflated with the existing concept of Heaven, which was just the realm God existed in and the birds flew through, not a destination for souls. Traditionally Sheol was the destination for the souls of the righteous and the unrighteous alike, and was nothing more than a state of being dead. The evolving concept of the soul’s judgment and contact with the Hellenic world led to to Heaven/hell dichotomy we have today.

That’s just my opinion though.

Profile photo of Lewcifer
    Lewcifer
    Participant

This one’s easy. In heaven, you become Borg. Assimilated. Resistance is futile.

…Isn’t that what we used to say about Commies?

Profile photo of Lukas J
    Lukas J
    Participant

The whole concept of Heaven V. Hell V. Purgatory is ultimately a theory. This response births the question: If sexuality doesn’t exist within heaven, and marriage isn’t carried over into the ‘next life’, then why are laws still in place today that prohibit same sex marriage based on religious texts?

Jesus doesn’t seem to care that much lol

Profile photo of Lord Relentless
    Lord Relentless
    Participant

This is an interesting question and the answer lies in the contradictions of the very verses you list.

One cannot be ‘rebellious’ without individuality, god has “sex” with Marry to have Christ, so sexuality must be maintained as well as gender. If heaven is where humans are as angels who warship  god then free will is lost which god gives us (
    Proverbs 21:15-16
    New International Version (NIV)

15 When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous
    but terror to evildoers.

16 Whoever strays from the path of prudence
    comes to rest in the company of the dead.)

Ergo, logically speaking, in heaven we must retain the self, we don’t just assimilate into some singular whole. Irony is a bitch here, because that then suggests that in the Judeo-Christian view of heaven, heaven is essentially a Communist “country” where everyone, as individual as they are, are one of many and seen as the same all sitting under a singular dictator who orders them to warship him without stop.

This sort of reminds me of North Korea…

Profile photo of psyadam
    psyadam
    Participant

if there’s no [gay] sex in heaven I want no part of it

Profile photo of jksteiner1974
    jksteiner1974
    Participant

The concept of heaven is as full of logical fallacies as the concept of god.  There are no gays in heaven because heaven does not exist.

Profile photo of IMST
    IMST
    Participant

I’m honestly not seeing anything to respond to here. Someone’s speculating on the nature of a thing that lacks evidence of its existence. There’s nothing to agree with or disagree with here to me, just a bunch of talking about something completely irrelevant to me. If someone tried to bring all this up in a conversation with me about religion or sexuality, I’d be explaining how nothing about this part of the conversation was interesting to me and ask that we move on to something else.

Profile photo of BORNAGAYNATHIEST
    BORNAGAYNATHIEST
    Participant

You can’t remedy one with the other!
    Eh!!???

…they missed the ‘without god’ part in the address bar right?

Profile photo of Gerald
    Gerald
    Participant

the concept of heaven and hell is very weird. A christian would tell me im going to hell because i am gay or maybe because i don’t go to church but because i was never and will never get baptized i cannot go to hell and i cannot go to heaven. the concept of an atheist going to hell is very wrong along with gay people

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar